The Food Safety and Standard Authority of India (FSSAI) is an independent organization under the Ministry of Health and Welfare of the Indian government. Through regulation, the FSSAI License is responsible for protecting and promoting public health.
Many of you may want to start your own food business but are unsure how to apply for a license from the FSSAI, which is the most important step. As a result, In This article, you will find the procedure for applying for a Central FSSAI License, as well as the eligibility requirements and documentation required.
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is the legal body in charge of food security regulation in India. As a result, all Food Business Operators (FBOs) must obtain an FSSAI license in accordance with their business activity and turnover. To avoid misuse of food products, all FBOs must get a 14-digit FSSAI License number and display it on their food packages or shop.
Who Should Register with the FSSAI?
The following individuals or entities are eligible for an FSSAI Registration or License:
- Manufacturers of all kinds of foods.
- Unit for food packaging or storage.
- The operator of a wholesaling, trading, or online food business.
- Caterers, hotels, or raw material suppliers are all options.
- Food product exporter and importer.
- Both transporters and distributors need.
- Food product retailers.
Types of FSSAI Registration/Licenses
After successful completion of the registration procedure, the FSSAI will assign a 14-digit number to the food industry owners. The FSSAI Registration divide into three categories based on business turnover criteria. There is one more requirement for getting registration or license. This criterion is determined by the food business unit’s production capacity, regardless of the company’s turnover. The registration or license for Food Processing Units, Slaughtering Units, and Meat Processing Units is based on the latter requirements.
- Basic FSSAI Registration – Basic FSSAI Registration must register with the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI). It’s also known as the FSSAI Basic License. The annual turnover of this type of business shall not exceed Rs. 12 lac. A hawker, itinerant seller, or transitory stallholder is considered a tiny retailer.
- FSSAI State License – A FSSAI State License is required for any business with annual revenue of Rs. 12 Lac to Rs. 20 Cr. or more. An FSSAI State Trading license or an FSSAI State Manufacturing license both have the same turnover limit.
- FSSAI Central License – A FSSAI Central License require for businesses with a turnover of more than Rs. 20 crore that manufacture, trade, or store goods in excess of specific legal limits.
The FSSAI issues a Central License to all of India’s major FBOs, which is a requirement for FBOs involves in food manufacture, storage, distribution, transportation, or retailing. Depending on the type of business operation, the FSSAI License Registration can be from the Central Government or the State Government.
Required Documents for Food Safety and Standards Registration
For a basic FSSAI license, a document is required.
- Letter of authority
- Form of declaration
- A copy of the title documents (if owned)
- A copy of the lease agreement (if rented)
- A business’s bill for water or electricity
- Form 10
- Plan or license of the food safety management system.
- Aadhaar card or voter id card, passport, etc for identification proof of the owner, directors, or partners.
State FSSAI licensing Documentation
State FSSAI licensing documentation is required.
- Proof of identification (Aadhaar Card or Voter ID card)
- Proof of address — utility bills, cell phone bills, phone bills, gas bills, and so forth.
- PAN (Personal Identification Number) card
- Copies of certificates received under the cooperatives legislation of 1861 or the multi-state cooperative act of 2002
- Owners, partners, and executive members of the society, as well as their full address and contact information
- The most recent passport photo
- Form 9 (Nomination of persons by a company)
- Source of raw material information
- The DGFT has issued an e-code document.
- The manufacturer’s letter of approval
- A copy of the lease agreement and a letter of authorization from the landlord (if rented)
- A copy of the property legal documents (if owned)
Why Is It Important To Register With The FSSAI?
The following are some of the reasons why you should register with the FSSAI:
- Aside from legal considerations, an FSSAI license assures that your restaurant’s food is of high quality
- The majority of customers want to eat only high-quality, safe-to-eat food. The FSSAI logo on menus and pamphlets improves your restaurant’s reputation and boosts client confidence in your brand.
- It helps in the growth of your restaurant’s business and the standardization. Only restaurants that meet the requirements of the FSSAI’s back-end design grants for a food license.
What are the benefits of an FSSAI license or registration?
The food business gets legal benefits, generates goodwill, assures food safety, raises consumer knowledge, and aids in business expansion after obtaining an FSSAI License/Registration. It also aids in the regulation of imported food manufacturing, storage, distribution, and sale.