Packaging is an inevitable expense in any retail business. Corrugated cardboard boxes and jiffy padded envelopes are some of the most popular packaging supplies that e-commerce businesses use. Both shipping containers offer protection and look great.
Depending on the type of product your business sells, it is likely that you will be investing in these shipping containers. Padded mailers and shipping boxes are quite different in terms of their functionality, composition, and purpose.
If you are questioning which of these is the right choice for your business, we have made a comparative study for you, laying out all their advantages and disadvantages
Padded mailers or parcel mailing bags are cushioned envelopes used as packing materials for shipping various items. The exterior of these envelopes is made up of heavy papers or corrugated fibreboard.
The interior is padded with bubble wraps, foam, or any other cushioning materials.
Some of the significant benefits of padded jiffy envelopes are:
• They are very lightweight and therefore can save a lot of money on shipping.
• They do not need any additional protective inserts. They are already bubble-lined or padded with other materials to protect the goods.
• Though they come in a variety of different sizes, the small padded envelopes take up much less space than cardboard shipping boxes. They can be easily stacked in warehouses.
• In some businesses like a textile company, where packing pressure is really high, using padded mailers is a sensible option. They can be packed very easily and shipped quickly than boxes.
Naturally, every product has some drawbacks along with a list of benefits. Some of the weaknesses of jiffy envelopes include:
• Padded envelopes have a risk of getting crushed under heavy boxes. While the padding inside provides a level of protection to the items, they cannot be trusted for fragile objects.
• Parcel bags are designed to accommodate smaller, lighter items. If a product is on the heavier side, chances are the bag can get torn.
• Similarly, padded mailers cannot be trusted with every product. They do not provide protection from liquids, and since most of them are made of paper, the liquids can weaken the envelope.
• Of course, there are large-sized envelopes in the market, but bigger products cannot be housed inside the envelope. Also, jiffy envelopes are capable of carrying a single item at a time.
Shipping boxes or cardboard cartons
An industrial cardboard box is a prefabricated box used for packing and shipping goods. They are made up of paper-like materials and usually are 100% recyclable. Corrugated cardboard boxes, single wall cardboard boxes, double wall cardboard boxes, etc., are some of the most popular types of shipping containers.
Some advantages of shipping cartons used by businesses are:
- Cardboard boxes are usually pretty sturdy and durable in nature.
- Shipping boxes are typically made of paper materials with are 100% recyclable and reusable.
- Cardboard boxes can hold more than one item comfortably. They will offer the right amount of protection and shock resistance.
- They are available in many different sizes, which provides for an excellent packing supply for oddly shaped items. Corrugated boxes can offer sufficient protection for fragile items like electronics, glasses, and so on.
However, despite these amazing benefits, there are some disadvantages of shipping boxes:
- Shipping boxes are usually more expensive than padded envelopes—the cost of expenses increases during shipping.
- Shipping expenses get more when using dimensional weight pricing.
- While packing fragile items, protective inserts like peanut foams are used to add cushioning to the products. This gets costly as protective inserts get added to the production expenses.
- Shipping cartons are bulkier and take up a lot more space than jiffy padded envelopes.
What to choose?
Selecting your packaging materials depends on the items your business is selling. If you are into the clothing business, like an online clothing store, shifting towards jiffy envelopes of different sizes is the smarter option.
Before investing in packing supplies, ask a few questions like:
- What sort of items are you shipping?
- Do you want shipping convenience or an unboxing experience, or both?
- Do you want to opt for eco-friendly choices
- Who are your customers?
These questions will help you to determine what type of packing supply suits best for your company. But whatever you choose, Wellpack Europe has a wide range of packaging supplies for your business.