While massage has in common the manipulation of tissues, muscles, tendons, joints, skin, lymphatic systems, and organs, the methods used vary widely.
The goals are generally to induce relaxation or to relieve pain and stiffness. Most of the time, oils and lotions are used to lubricate the skin, and the recipient of the massage is lying on a table or on a mat on the floor, partially covered with rags or towels. The hands, fingers, and arms of the masseur are used, but sometimes also the elbows, knees, and feet, as well as vibrating devices and even hot stones. Massage in Karama
Some of the most common are:
* Acupressure is similar to acupuncture where pressure points are identified and pins are applied, except pressure is applied with the elbows or hands instead of the pins.
* Balinese massage involves a very gentle caress, a fold of the skin, or the application of hot stones. The purpose of this massage is to induce comfort and relaxation, as well as to improve circulation and energy levels. Aromatherapy is also used.
* Barefoot deep pressure massage is to use the massager’s feet to produce deep pressure without the effect of pointed finger pressure. It is believed to work well on the large, flat muscles of athletes.
* Deep tissue massage is a very specialized massage that reaches below the surface of the muscles. It is used to treat musculoskeletal disorders. A degree in physiology and some medical knowledge are required to use this method effectively and to avoid further damage or harm to the recipient of the massage treatment.
* The Bowen massage method avoids deep pressure and involves a lighter rocking motion which is believed to relieve muscle tension and restore flow to the lymphatic system.
* In the Breema system, the receiver remains fully clothed on the floor. This is more of a rhythmic stretching exercise than a more regular massage.
* Hilot is a Filipino massage system that is very gentle and involves the manipulation of the joints, especially after sprains, strains, and dislocations. It is sometimes used to help postpartum women help them recover quickly. Sometimes banana leaves and herbs are also used.
* Japanese Daihatsu is similar to acupressure, in that the energy meridians in the body are identified and squeezed with the fingers and hands, sometimes also with the feet and hot stones, but in addition, stretching is used.
* Reflexology massage involves massaging certain reflexes of the hands and feet to treat dysfunction of organs, glands, or other parts of the body. It is believed that each part of the body is linked to a particular reflex of the hands or feet. Body Massage in Karama
* Thai massage is related to yoga and the Ayurvedic religious beliefs of India. It is a massage while the recipient is in various yoga positions. Stretching and acupressure can also be applied.