Are you concerned about moving things from in compact spaces? Air casters rigging systems are a highly innovative way to move and transfer stuff from one place to another, especially in tight spaces. They are also known as air skates, which unceasingly flowing thin air layers to float heavyweight masses crosswise smooth surfaces, like a hovercraft’s operation.
These air casters are different from wheels as they are Omni-directional and nearly frictionless. They also required one to five pounds of force to move 1,000 lbs. of load, which means a small workforce is necessary to move tons of gear from one place to another, with minimal effort, no floor damage, and complete control.
It shows that the air caster rigging system is highly innovative and versatile, so let’s dig in more about the caster and its benefits and functions.
Are Air casters rigging systems suitable for heavy loads?
The standard air caster system can carry up to 100 tons of loads, and therefore, they are essential for and ideal for transferring and moving weighty loads, like moving loads ranging from a limited hundred kilograms up to a thousand tons or more.
Also, they are best to handle indoor movement and short distances. Air casters have a similar function for moving simple manually operated units and complex automated handling systems.
How Does The Air Bearing Or Caster Work?
The air casters rigging system is a critical component of a heavy load handling method because they are superior to conventional handling. A thin film of air is shaped between the air caster and floor when compressed air is forced out through the air caster. Thus, the friction is minimized, and heavy load is moved effortlessly and productivity from one place to another. You only need 1 kg of power or effort to lift 1000 kg of weight through this air caster.
The load’s weight is separated over a large area. Therefore, there is no floor wear or damage and no elimination of point load. Also, these Air casters are very flexible and allow omnidirectional movement. Large, heavy, and bulky cargoes can be moved, transfer, and placed with ease in any horizontal direction.
When the air bearings are linked with compressed air, the events occur because the system performs successful functioning.
- Deflated air caster: it is an initial step when the air caster is in a flat state and before connecting.
- Inflating air caster: the air caster inflates, and the weight is picked up off the floor.
- Floating air caster: then the air flows between the floor and the caster, and the caster is higher than the counterpressure. Thus, a thin film is made that allows the load to float virtually without friction.
Benefits of Air Casters
The air caster can handle higher pressures to transfer heavier loads. Here are some benefits of the air caster which make them a perfect choice for moving heavy loads.
- Maneuverability: They enable to move 5,000-lb load on air casters can be moved with only 5 to 25 lb of force, which shows that they are easier to navigate in place, unlike traditional wheeled casters, on most floors.
- Sensitive loads: Air casters glide along on any nonporous surface and a smooth surface, such as they can quickly move a load on vinyl, raised tiles, linoleum, and smooth concrete, which is usually found in factories and industries. Also, you can put a plastic or metal sheet on a porous surface and allow it to move on it. Also, they are highly advance and can even carry loads across wet floors and sheets of water.
- Moving in tight spaces: They are highly versatile and can easily be fitted into cranes and forklifts as they have air cushions that can quickly change direction. Casters are used for various purposes, such as material handling operations, including paper reformers involving large rolls. Other than this, they have an immense range of applications as they can move heavy loads in compact and tight places.
- Ergonomics and safety: Air casters are safer to use and allow every individual to safely move and control a load weighing up to 5,000 lb-, which is much greater than a car’s load, which is more than the weight of an average vehicle. They have power traction devices for heavier loads and have extra steering and force.
- No Damage to flooring: these casters perform the function supported by air with the help of air cushions; therefore, there is no chance of floor damaging as they do not come in contact with the floor. Also, they divide the load into a larger area, reducing the risk of structural damage to floors.
- Minimal maintenance: Air casters are magnificent and easy to maintain. They require no lubrication, have no moving parts, and have no maintenance schedule. You can clean air casters with mild soap and water; no need to hesitate. Also, if something felt on them, you can wipe it off with the help of a rag dabbed with acetone. After cleaning, you can dry it and then apply the load pressure on it.
- Cleanroom Applications: air caster allows the distribution of the heavy load over a larger surface area, allowing the user to minimize the load on the floor, unlike the wheeled casters, which break through the raised flooring found in many clean rooms.
These air casters are highly innovative and make your work much more manageable and accessible than the other wheel movement system. However, these casters also have some limitation which is overcome. Here are some specific limit of using an air caster, such as :
- Air casters require a smooth, nonporous surface for proper functioning.
- Please make sure there are no cracks; otherwise, it may interrupt the proper airflow, causing the air cushion to dissipate
- It needs to be connected to a system that has compressed air and a suitable power supply.
- Large crack and expansion joint need to be fixed before lifting as it requires a concrete floor.